Magpies are a medium sized corvid, and like other corvids, are known for their intelligence and personality. They are found nearly everywhere in the world, and have lived closely with humans throughout history. Because of this, magpies have been misunderstood but also a popular figure in fairy tale and folklore. Enjoy these fun and interesting magpie facts! Remember these are fun magpie facts, not necessarily just the scientific ones!
1. In France, magpies were thought to be reincarnations of evil nuns. Crows? Reincarnated evil priests.
2. Magpies are among the few animals that recognize themselves in a mirror.
3. Magpies can mimic sounds, even human voices when they feel like it!
4. A group of magpies is called a parliament. They tend to be garrulous in groups. Hmm.
5. Magpies hold “funerals” for their dead
6. A magpie couple will stay together for life. It really is “till death do us part” with magpies.
7. In Chinese folklore, magpies are responsible for reuniting a pair of star-crossed lovers. The lovers were separated, but every year on the seventh day of the seventh month, magpies would form a bridge so the eternal lovers could meet.
8. In Mongolia, magpies are rumored to control the weather.
9. The tooth fairy is a magpie in Korea! Korean children would throw their baby teeth on their roof for the magpies in exchange for brand new teeth.
10. In Christianity, magpies were believed to be in allegiance with the devil due to their black feathers, but if you look under certain lights, some of these feathers actually have a blue-green iridescent sheen